Saturday, September 5, 2009

Little changes...

So much for time off.

After much prayer, and (4) weeks actually of actually being retired from music ministry (again), I'm heeding the call have taken a new position in music ministry. It's hard to stay away.

I'm sure to get some upset emails from the St. Vinnie's folks: guys, I wasn't planning on this. It's closer to home and enables the family to go to mass together every week. I still love you all!

I'd be real easy and self-serving to come into a position where there's an existing team, and just do what worked for my previous band at St. Vincent. I'll have to overcome my enthusiasm and stick with a plan that is much less about me, and more about the community I'm called to serve.

Here's the plan: slide in - change as little as possible in the short run. Figure out what's working, become a part of the team's routine, and just do my best as a part of the team. Work with the existing folks to understand our strengths and weaknesses, building a rapport with the folks in ministry, and go from there. The best thing to find would be something that requires very little change. It's much safer to merge than to turn sharply anyway!

God bless you and those that prayed, tugged, bugged and begged. God bless all of those who have served in this role, and God bless all of you that serve in music ministry.

No comments: