Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Virtual Instruments - I'm Gloating

Easter Sunday. St. Jude's Gospel Choir. I offered to bring some fat B3 sounds to the sound for Easter. I brought:

  • My trusty Korg Triton Pro
  • My M-Audio 49-key controller
  • My Apple MacBook Pro with Logic Studio 8 and a MOTU Traveler.

The sound was great - at least from where I was.  The Triton was up and running great, but I had weird problems with the FireWire until the second song of mass and things started...working.  (Word to the wise, having the Triton was a great backup plan!) Here's the breakdown on what I did:

Anything that required drawbar control went from the M-Audio Oxygen49 through the Mac.  I did this for light stuff or stuff that needed to stick out dynamically using Logic Studio 8's new Main Stage plug-in host and the EVB3 Hammond simulator.  I re-assigned my controllers on the M-Audio to control the drawbars in the plug-in.

Everything else that needed to be subtle, dirty, or very predictable from my perspective was the Triton because I needed only one control - volume.

In the end, things worked out well.  The only thing that would have been odd would be that the sounds of the TWO organs would not coincide really with the amp or the rotation speeds, but people listening to the choir weren't really any the wiser, I don't think. 

No comments: