Thursday, November 16, 2006

Life on Speed

I need to slow down.

There's a lot going on in all of our lives. Performing music and praising God is fun and rewarding, challenging and consuming all at the same time.

Most of us involved in ministry have families, loved ones, lawns, jobs, bills, and weeds. The oil in my poor car hasn't been changed in nearly 9,000 miles. I just haven't had the time. That said, I drive 35 miles each way twice a week (yes, 140 miles a week) solely for LIFE TEEN masses and rehearsals.

Often, I have to remind myself to slow down. Life will be okay... mass will go on, and for crying out loud, pick another song rather than staying up until 3am to write a new setting or transcribe one that OCP can't be bothered to put online.

Our Holy Father, Benedict XVI recently reminded us that being busy all the time can lead to spiritual hardness of heart. I know I've felt it. It's in those times that I have trouble experiencing Jesus' love in the everyday. I haven't given enough time to let him into my day, let alone those moments of ferocious panic trying to put liturgical music together because I haven't given enough time to sleep, let alone pray.

As teens, we're reminded to leave six inches for the Holy Spirit. Sometimes, this is said jokingly, but I think if you turn this around to our busy lives, it can be equally important - leave six minutes for the Holy Spirit. Leave an hour. Leave something for God to breathe into your life. How much better decisions, better living will we experience if we are spiritually and emotionally grounded in every day, not just the few hours of our week after mass.

God is there with us always. Let us take the time to acknowledge his presence, allowing us to let Him rule our lives. If we keep Him a priority, perhaps we'll come to terms with "busy" not being equated with "productive", "important", or even "good".

God bless you in your ministry.

No comments: